Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Droopy-Eyed Tuesday

I was up late last night/early this morning, cleaning up the house a bit before my trip later this week. 

In my experience, most single folk, male or female, probably don't do much housework unless they're down to the last pair of underwear, the last clean fork, or the last scrap of space on the couch or the dining table. I do housework under pressure: when company's coming over, when the spiderwebs in the corners are gathering dust, when I'm working off anger or an excess of caffeine, or when--as now--I don't want to return from a trip and be faced with a cluttered house musty from being closed up for several days.

So, last night, when I typed a blog post stating that I'd be up for a few hours, I wasn't surprised when the phone rang near 2:00 a.m.

I didn't even say hi, but asked if this was my little brother. Laughing, he said, "Yes, it is," and admitted to having just read my blog. I called him evil, and we hung out on the phone till about 4:00 a.m. 

I'm going to be in Tucson in a few days, but that's not an issue; he and I can usually find something to mock, laugh about, or discuss deeply. Not deep issues, just deep discussion. (laugh)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't even tell me about the housework!(Laughing). I recently cleaned out my car, and thought, wow. I live here several hours a week, so it shouldn't be messy, right?! Nooo.

Lavinia said...

Isn't it interesting how your blog is serving as a beacon to your fans....I wonder if people realize that our blogging leaves a little footprint and acts as a little broadcast. For example, I was up late last night, and your comment popped up on my blog, so I thought, hey, he is up...I'll pop over to Keanan's blog and leave a comment, and be fairly sure that he will see it soon. I also thought for a moment, well the world will now know that I am up too late for a worknight...but then it occurred to me that we are all in different time zones and the time of comment appears in the blogger's timezone...am I confusing you? Because now I'm confused...sort of.

The point is, I just think its really cool that your brother could pinpoint that you were still up merely by a glance at his computer.

Well, according to the time, its time for me to go now....:o)

Keanan Brand said...

Jade - You've seen my truck. You know how much stuff has to get shifted from the passenger side into the back of the truck just so I can have one passenger. I really, really need some sort of toolbox in the truck bed, or I just need to get a car with a roomy trunk.

Lavinia - Y'know, I asked my brother why he or my sister-in-law don't just leave comments on the blog, but I can't complain. A phone call's pretty good for a response, don't you think?

Guess I'll have to be careful what I broadcast! (smile)

Eaglewing said...

Totally hear you on that house work thing. Wait until it absolutely must be done. Hey, it's not like anybody's going to notice except me :)

Lavinia said...

Keanan, at least your relatives read your blog. My sister and brother just make fun of mine and wouldn't be caught dead reading it. When on occasion I sit them down and show them something on it, they can't stop laughing!

Keanan Brand said...

Eagle - Precisely.

I should have photographed the floor of my office before leaving on this trip. Notebooks, reams of various kinds of paper, rough sketches, bits of poetry and stories--there is little carpet visible under the detritus of creativity. But, as is usually the case with cluttery types, I kmow where everything is.

Keanan Brand said...

Lavinia - They're just jealous. Yeah, that's it. At least, that's the story I would tell if I were you!