Tuesday, January 22, 2008



In Memoriam
Heath Ledger

April 4, 1979 - January 22, 2008


Despite all the viewers who just didn't get the joke, probably my favorite Ledger film is the funny and intelligent medieval-meets-rock A Knight's Tale, followed closely by (if not tied with) 10 Things I Hate About You, an updated and witty version of Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew. Ledger is also The Joker in the The Dark Knight, the latest Batman flick, slated to appear in theatres in July. I didn't always like nor view his choices (i.e. Brokeback Mountain), but he was among my favorite actors, and who knows where his career might have gone?



6 comments:

Eaglewing said...

This truly came as a shock. Who knows what led to it, but he'll be missed. Certainly by cinema fans as well. I too didn't see all his movies, but 10 Things I Hate is one of my faves, and I enjoyed Knights Tale too. I thought it was horrible miscasting when they announced him as The Joker, but after seeing the trailer I was completely sold. His career really seemed to be taking off and now this. Sad.

Keanan Brand said...

Yeah, The Joker thing seemed "off" until I saw a couple photos and realized how very apt he seemed. Definitely will be missed.

Anonymous said...

And it wasn't "off" when he played a gay cowboy?

Keanan Brand said...

If one had read the post, one would see the caveat about my disagreeing with some of his choices, one of them being the gay cowboy. One may appreciate another's talents without agreeing always with the way someone uses those talents.

Pappy said...

O.K. Keanan - Where are you? I have visited every day since Tuesday and found the house in the same condition as when I left it last time. Hope all is well. Waiting.

Anonymous said...

Yes, as I told you, I was shocked by his death. Such a personable actor--and his career could have had a wonderful scope. But we are thankful to him for what he did share with us. My favorite is "A Knight's Tale" but I loved him in "Casanova" as well.