Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Huh?

About the new fantasy story I started in a small notebook, back when I was sick and couldn't be on the computer: A kid where I work was reading the latest updates (he's been the only reader, actually) when he looked up, a serio-comic expression on his face, and asked, "Will there be unicorns?"

Wha--?

I looked back at him, uncertain where this was coming from--or going. "Uhm, no. Why do you ask?"

"Oh, no reason. I just though there might be unicorns."

"There will never be unicorns in anything I write."

"Why?"

"There will never be unicorns in anything I write."

"Okay."

And that was that.

It's the tale of young Emerson whose Great-Uncle Eban disappeared, long before Emerson was born, back when Eban was a boy himself. I still have no idea where the unicorn question fits.

3 comments:

Eaglewing said...

Classic. Kids can come up with the oddest questions. Would be great to know exactly what part he was reading when the unicorn question hit. Still, probably a good idea to pass on the unicorns.

Pappy said...

Why not some humpy backed camels and a chimpanzee? ...but as sure as you're born, Noah couldn't find that Unicorn. I guess that's why huh?

Keanan Brand said...

Yup!

In December, we hosted a Scholastic Book Fair at our site, and we earned some books for our library as a result. The boy's sister was allowed to pick one book for the library, and what did she choose? A book about unicorns. Gotta wonder what the family interest is in the critters.