Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Sound Literary Advice

Last month, in the newsletter by Philip Martin of Great Lakes Literary, he discussed "The Sound of Your Stories" and advised reading them out loud for their cadence, something I've found useful for years, especially when writing dialogue. (It's a good thing no one can see me marching up and down the house, talking to myself in different voices, waving my arms, making faces, fighting imaginary foes.)

This month's newsletter contains the expansion of a theme on which he wrote last year: "Developing a Sense of Place"--Part 1 is here; Part 2, here.

One of my favorite articles is this one: "C.S. Lewis & the Art of the Believable Detail."

The newsletter is free, the information is useful, and the writing is good. At the bottom of the first page, there's a link for those who want to sign up for the newsletter, which I highly recommend.

2 comments:

Pappy said...

Good sites. I like the "sound" advice.

Keanan Brand said...

Yeah, a cheap laugh, but (shrug) I couldn't resist.

I met Philip at the OWFI conference several years ago in Oklahoma City. He's a writer, too, but he also has experience as an agent and an editor, and I believe he also co-founded a publishing company. Good guy.