Sunday, March 9, 2008

Killing the Villains

Today, I think, one of the villains dies.

But I'm not sure.

After all, he really is a baddie, and he's been around for millenia. Doesn't seem fair to kill him off with so simple a weapon (nope, not gonna tell ya!) and in so casual a fashion.

On the other hand, he's a leech, feeding off another villain's life and mind and spirit, controlling him in order to have power, and it seems fitting that the host kill the parasite.

After all, it's not as if there aren't more baddies out there--including the host's wife, who's a real nasty. I'm having fun writing her; does that mean I'm twisted?

I've never written so many villains who are so bad as this bunch.

The irony? (evil laugh and a twirl of my invisible mustache) The host's wife is a parasite herself; he kills off one terrible bloodsucker only to clear the way for a worse one. MWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!

4 comments:

Eaglewing said...

Ah yes, just when you think it's safe, here comes an even worse mind sucker! Sounds like you've got a merry bunch of baddies to create havoc with.

Keanan Brand said...

Yup!

I've had to make some difficult changes to my way of thinking, in order to create them and think like them. I want believable baddies, not over-the-top caricatures who are more laughable than scary, or weak villains who don't provide much opposition. Villains are not my strength.

Anonymous said...

Well, if this is the story I'm thinking of, the baddies WILL be believeable, but you are making me more curious all the time! And Whaddya mean--you aren't good at villians? I can think of at least two good ones from you!

Keanan Brand said...

Thank you, thank you, but they really are the hardest characters for me to write. Maybe that's why I spend so much time on them.

Got the death scene written, though. Took me two days to produce about four pages' worth of words, but they're pretty solid for a rough draft.