Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Persnickety Perfectionist

Can't post any photos; I keep getting a disconnect or error message. Hmmm.

Finished the magnificent death scene for the ancient villain. Pretty good stuff, if I do say so myself. There are still several more paragraphs to create, though--another baddie hasn't yet entered the room to survey the damage.

For the musically inclined, the phrase "pitch perfect" needs no explanation, and it describes what I'm seeking: dialogue so true that it sounds natural to the speakers, and action that fits the characters like their own skins. Unfortunately, perfectionism makes for slow writing. (There are two current projects that I'm pretty much writing by the seat of my pants, so to speak, no perfectionism in sight.)

Due to less-than-ideal circumstances yesterday, I didn't get to bed till about 5 a.m.; looks like I'm going to be awake till crazy hours again. Maybe the missing paragraphs will come to me in lieu of dreams.

* * *

Update: Whoo Hoo! The entire chapter is finished, the ending totally unexpected--at least by the author. I'm feeling good about this part of the manuscript, and have moved on to the next chapter, which I am going to leave incomplete for now, since the time is a few minutes past 5 a.m., and I do need a few hours of sleep before work.

6 comments:

Pappy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

hey, I couldn't post a photo to my spring color guide either--what's going on! But as to dialogue, I know what you are saying. Incidentally, I entered the game, invited total strangers to play. Wow, I have never just dropped in on another blog. It made me kinda nervous.

Keanan Brand said...

Tex - Thanks for the help. Really. As for the photos, well, Blogger seems to like my PC at work, but not the Mac at home. Hmmm...

Jade - I stopped by the memoir entry and commented; I like what you came up with. And go ahead! Visit random strangers! After all, this is the internet; that's normal behavior in this weird 'verse.

Pappy said...

Well there you go Pardner. Good as new and I'll bet no one's the wiser. Next time you and your wife are in the area, come by.

Anonymous said...

Must be something in Texican's water... You feelin' all right?

Pappy said...

Fit as a fiddle. A little on the heavy side, but I don't think doctors know everything. Everyone needs cholestrol. Hope you are doing well. Come by for a visit sometime.